Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...
From: Ms Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:55:12 -0800 (PST)
I really can't see how SCCA could provide the backing
for this series in the way C&D can. It's great how it
is, and I'm really happy for Steve, because he's been
working on this for a long time.

I also cannot see how it'd be bad for SCCA autocross.
These are two different games entirely. Anyone hooked
on the the C&D series will notice immediately that he
and she will have to travel the country for another
event. If they really like it, they might be inclined
to try a local autocross. Or drag racing. Or... skid
pad racing? It's a great introduction to competitive
driving.

The points based classing system is perfect for people
with minimal to no autocross/racing experience, as
well. C&D has a readership that reaches the millions,
globally. I am sure they understand very well their
target audiences and what kinds of cars they're
buying, and what, if any, mods they're adding. For
sophisticated autocrossers, schooled in the politics
of classing, of course it's a nightmare, but none of
us represent regular auto buyers. "Normal" people
don't buy cars because they're concerned about what
classes they fall into.

-Katie