Porsche 968 - caveat emptor

To: <autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Porsche 968 - caveat emptor
From: "Ted Drcar" <tdrcar@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 01:39:15 -0800
The 968 with M030 is once again a hot car for BS, and there is a tantalizing
black '94 M030 for sale on eBay right now.  But buyer beware!

This seller had the same car listed on Autotrader and after a couple phone
calls I successfully negotiated a price with him.  Our agreement was that
before I paid, he would provide me with the VIN (if you look at the eBay
listing you'll see why he never gave me that), photos of certain parts of
the car I wanted (such as the factory option code sticker), a fax or scan of
the supposed Porsche dealer inspection report, and he'd take the car for a
new inspection and dyno test (at my expense).  He never did any of the
above, and then demanded that I give him an unbargained-for pre-inspection
"deposit" of thousands of dollars.  I demanded that we stick with the
original deal and he broke it off, saying that he had another buyer "lined
up."  Also, he was very poor at communicating with me, and I think this was
by design.

This seller (David) is not a Porsche enthusiast, seems dishonest, and is
certainly unreliable.  I wouldn't trust the car to be in good condition and
to have the right maintenance history unless you can confirm that to a
certainty.

Here is the listing in case you want to take chances with your time and
money:  http://tinyurl.com/6adst

  - Ted Drcar
Carless in San Diego