Thank you List

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thank you List
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:22:39 -0500
Guys,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding air compressor
pump lubricant.  I deeply appreciate the information.

After I received your posts, something clicked in my cranium and I went
searching in the deep  stacks in the Lorenzo Library annex down in the
basement.  I found a copy of a Shell Oil Lubricant's Handbook that I "ahem"
acquired at a trade show some years ago.

According to what I found in this reference book, Shell branded, mineral
base, air compressor pump oil is a non detergent hydraulic oil with an AWRO
(Anti-Wear, Rust and Oxidation) additive package. It comes in ISO 68-100 and
150 grades.  (ISO 68 oil is about 20 weight in motor oil, 100 is about 30
weight and 150 a 40 weight oil.)

For the one person who reported foaming in a compressor running normal motor
oil, I'm betting that happened because reciprocating air compressor pumps do
not have pressure lubrication systems.  Instead they use an oil slinger to
get oil to where it's needed. Some compressors use a roll pin hammered into
the big end of the connecting rod to do the job. According to the schematic
I found, my Kellogg compressor uses a wire arrangement that is secured to
the bottom of the oil pan and rides on the crank. The excentric motion of
the crank causes the wire to whip oil about the enclosure.

A non-detergent oil will not foam as quickly as an oil with a full load of
additives designed for spark ingnition engine.

Again, Thank

Larry Steckel