Forwarded: Re: Equipment Truck/Trailer Question

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Forwarded: Re: Equipment Truck/Trailer Question
From: <lists@Autox.Team.Net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:20:57 -0600
For some reason this was sent to me rather than autox@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     From: "Jim Lin" <LinMotorsport@comcast.net>
     Subject: Re: Equipment Truck/Trailer Question
     Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:13:47 -0500

Here in Indy region, we used to have a trailer that hauled all our equipment
and also served as T&S Central during events.  When we started to outgrow
the trailer about a year ago, we made the conscious decision to get
something self-propelled as a replacement.  The issue we were running into
with the trailer (and it was becoming a big problem) was finding someone
willing to supply and drive a tow vehicle.

We ended up with an airport shuttle type bus which we picked up relatively
inexpensively from a retirement home that had upgraded to a new vehicle.  It
needed some work, but we had a few "bus parties" and have gotten Da Bus in
decent shape.  It still needs some TLC for the long term, but it appears to
be a good investment overall.  The region also picked up a tow dolly for Da
Bus, so whoever drives it to an event can also transport their autox vehicle
at the same time.  Currently, only the solo chairmen and the regional exec
are allowed to drive Da Bus (they're the only ones on the insurance policy).

The retirement home had installed a wheelchair lift in an extra large side
door.  We removed most of the seating inside the bus as well as the lift,
and we're left with an easy access side door in addition to the folding bus
door up front (as well as the normal driver's door on the other side).  The
large side door makes for very easy loading/unloading (we built a set of
steps up to the door).  The bigger square footage of the bus means we don't
need to stack everything inside as tall, making for a more stable ride.

One of the *major* benefits of our bus over the old trailer is visibility.
Timing and Scoring is so much easier now that you can see out of all 4 sides
of the vehicle.  On a hot day you can open up as many windows as needed to
get a gentle cross breeze going, as opposed to the all-or-nothing large rear
doors of the trailer which tended to send paperwork flying in the breeze.
The CenDiv T&S gurus liked Da Bus so much at the Indy hosted CenDiv event
that they used it for the divisional championships.

Couple photos of Da Bus in action:
http://indyscca.org/photos/Solo/2004/GrissomCendiv/5-27/General/pages/P6272042.htm
http://indyscca.org/photos/Solo/2004/GrissomCendiv/5-27/General/pages/P6272043.htm
http://indyscca.org/photos/2004/August22/general/pages/1010003_JPG.htm