Re: A new spoon in the FSM pot

To: <eric@mail.brown911.com>, "'autox '" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A new spoon in the FSM pot
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:47:23 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
To: "'Chuck'" <golden1@britsys.net>; "'autox '" <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 6:45 PM

> <<
> There are a weath of stock class cars competing presently that are 5-20
> yrs old, I can only assume the owners have the required documentation.
> >>

> Ahh, it's the Assume thing....

Are you saying they are illegal?  8^O
If they don't have the FSM with them, they would be DSQd if protested for
anything.  ;^)

> The FSM for my car isn't in print, but I got one on Ebay for $1300.
> There are many Boxters only a few years old running in Stock, their FSM
> costs $2019. BMW FSM's may or may not be available. Subaru manuals in
> some cases, from the info on this list, cost more than Porsche manuals!

> Yes the subaru manual can be downloaded -- what happens when two
> supposedly 'factory' electronic files differ? AND who speaks to the
> veracity of the electronic document?

Still gotta have it according to the rules, I didn't make the rules...

> Now let's take the idea of bringing the FSM to impound. The FSM set for
> my '72 911 is about 5 feet wide. The '02 Boxter FSM is 13 (?) volumes.
> Think about the logistics of forty cars all with three feet of
> documentation...

Well since you have to have them with you at the events anyhow (you DO play
by the rules don't you?) why not put them all in a nice rollaway suitcase to
protect your investment and roll it to grid and impound with you? Would make
packing a lot easier as well! (that was just semi serious, I doubt the
significant specs are spread thru every manual in the set, or DO you
actually bring all 5' of them with you?) My manuals are in 3 volumes, but
the third one is all wiring diagrams and electrical/electronic
troubleshooting.
 [Porsche service centers must look more like a library than a shop... LOL]

> A number of stock competitors have already posted that they can't even
> get an FSM. So if you want to require that an FSM be brought to impound
> you exclude quite a few cars.

No, it just means a clarification of the current documentation rules needs
to be made by the SEB pertaining to those cars.
I would not be adverse to allowing competitors in the same MMY cars to share
documentation as they do now with cars and rulebooks. My not having access
to my competitors documentation until after I put up the money for a protest
is like a lawyer trying to prosecute a criminal without being allowed to see
what evidence there is until in court.

[aside:]
Now doesn't my previous suggestion of a public online database make a lot of
sense?