Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>, <Ghsharp@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:14:15 -0600
Who is responsible? Suddenly this is two questions.

Who is responsible for finding it, collecting it, presenting it to the PC?
Gotta be the protestee. He should be more knowledgeable about his car, and
what to ask of whom to get the right answers.

But, who is responsible for the costs incurred as a result of the protest?
It has to be the loser of the protest. It does not matter if the cost is the
price of a gasket, shop time for engine reassembly, or the cost of acquiring
documentation. The cost of the protest is the cost of the protest and in any
protest the protestor by filing his protest obligates himself to cover its
cost if the protestee is proved legal.

 It is probably going to cost more to protest a pricey car or even to
protest a newer car -- everything costs more. If the potential protestor
avoids protesting the Ferrari or the Porsche because of the protest cost
(whether parts, labor or whatever) then that's his decision. Should we then
forbid Ferraris and Porsches from competing because it costs too much to
protest them? Newer cars have all kinds of plumbing, valves, sensors, chips,
computer stuff, etc., that my car does not have. These are all protestable
items. Should they be prevented from competing because there is more there
to protest raising the potential cost of protests?

The cost is what it is, always has been, must always be.

Let's take your final drive example. Just for fun, let's make it the final
drive of a Boxster. Let's assume it is ultimately legal. What makes more
sense:
1) Protestor pays $100 of shop time for the local Porsche dealer to look it
up?
2) Ten Boxster owners each buy $2100 worth of documentation on the off
chance one of them might get protested someday?

$100 or $21,000? Which makes more sense? No, they can't buy one book and
share it. Who says the owner happens to be there that day? It doesn't even
make sense for SCCA to buy the book for reference, because they (we!) would
have to do it again for next year's model, and then it may be 10 years, and
a few dozen Boxster drivers go through the event, before even one gets
protested on that final drive ratio (or anything else).

Limit the cost to what is needed to answer the question, and do not require
(but continue to *encourage*) everyone to have to spend money to own
something the huge majority of them will never need.

All this was not a big deal 30 years ago when everything was on paper, in
one book, and available for <$100 (even at 1970s prices). It is a big deal
when documentation comes in so many different formats, is hugely more
complicated, that even if printed takes a whole bookshelf, and costs in a
4-figure range assuming the manufacturer will even let you have it.

--Rocky Entriken