Re: Looking for cheap ride....

To: Coolwalker@aol.com, Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for cheap ride....
From: Bob Monday <boysrus_racing@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:40:08 -0800 (PST)
Virtually all not-for-profits are accepting used cars these days.
"Goodwill" seems to get better cars than other NFPs around Indy. I've
bought some decent-running cars there for <$500. A really nice one
might go for $2000. I've seen fairly late model Cadillacs go for $2500.
Call Goodwill and find out where the auctions are in your area.

I've bought an Audi Coupe GT (bought for $325, sold for to needy
neighbor for $900 and still running), '92 Subaru wagon (not AWD: bought
with 204,000 miles for $375, put 6,000 iles on it and sold it for
$750), and a '91 Celica ($800, son still driving it).

They have trucks as well as cars. Just check the vehicles out
carefully! There's not exactly a warranty! Water in oil? Oil in water?
Water in radiator? Is the oil "too new" (bad sign: probably 5 qts low
recently). Power steering and transmission working or whining? Engine
running smooth? (They start them here or tell you that they don't run.)
Is the car generally in good condition inside/out, or "rode hard and
put away wet"? If they start without battery boost, they've not sat
long. Maintenance records in the glove box are a good sign. Current
license plate on car (not sat under a tree for 2 years)? "Old folks
car" is often due to someone losing their license or life (same thing
in my book) and often a good buy. Ask at the sales lot office to see
the title to see if mileage is accurate. If you find a car with a lot
of miles and still in good shape, they are generally a salesman's car.
Miles are road miles, and the car will likely have had company-provided
maintenance. A salesman cannot afford to be broken down. I prefer
manual transmission as you know whether they work or not. I bought the
Toyota even though I knew the clutch was out of it because it ran well,
was a 1-owner, and I could get the repair parts CHEAP through the
motorsports program ($100 for a NEW Toyota-brand clutch, pressure plate
and throwout bearing!). Something to consider.

Good luck!

Bob Monday
Indy