Re: Valvoline.com gives SCCA members a bad rap

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valvoline.com gives SCCA members a bad rap
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:09:42 -0500
Jim Crider wrote:

> Well, compared to your average "2Fast2Furious" street
> racer, we must be more affluent, because we:

> - - spend our money on actual performance parts, not parts
> that look fast but make the car slower (heavy 18-20" wheels
> on low-powered econobox, oversized exhaust systems,
> fake intercoolers, underhood speakers playing "blow off
> valve" noises, yellow spark plug wires "because yellow
> *is* the color of speed", gi-normous wings, "Type R"
> badges for the Civic DX, or, even better, a non-Honda
> product, vinyl graphics of Japanese lettering that
> translates as "I'm too stupid to know I'm lame", and,
> of course, decals for performance products they read
> about in "Sport Compact Car", but haven't actually
> purchased and installed).

Let those without sin cast the first stones!

How many of us older fart types are guilty of one or more of the following:

- "SS", "Z28", "Cobra", "Trans-Am", or "R/T" decals or badges on cars never
so optioned?
- a "screaming chicken" decal on an non-Pontiac product?
- Bright yellow Accel spark plug wires?
- Chrome dress-up kits, consisting of a flimsy & leaky pair of
stamped-steel valve covers (big enough to clear non-existant roller
rockers) 6" long wing nuts, and an 8" diameter air cleaner?
- A set of extended-length leaf spring shackles designed to get that sexy 2
feet of body rake?
- A set of Lakewood-ripoff leaf spring "slapper bars"?
- Mild-steel headers that corroded away the first time the car saw
moisture?
- A hood-mounted tach the size of a dinner plate?
- A Holley 750cfm double-pumper and a high-rise tunnel ram on an otherwise
stock motor?
- Cut a hole in the hood to accomodate same?
- Kept track of our mods by putting the stickers on the rear window?
- Driven through town with a 15+ second dialin on the window?
- Put a 300 degree duration cam in a street car, and set the idle to 2k
just to keep it running?

I could go on....

Automotive stupidity is not limited to any single generation. We all did it
- it just took different forms.

DG