RE: '95 MR2 front strut question

To: Sup4speed@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: '95 MR2 front strut question
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:18:13 -0700
Hi Don,

Yes, the inserts are replaceable.  The Konis at least come with a
replacement "gland nut" which holds the insert inside the strut tube.  I
assume the Tokicos do as well.  But Toyota does not sell the gland nut
separately, that is why the dealer will tell you it is non-replaceable.
As for getting the old one off, try a big pipe wrench.  Once you do
that, you'll have to pull the oily guts of the factory strut out, then
pour a little bit of motor oil into the tube (for heat transfer) and
slide the Koni (or Tokico) insert in.  Make sure to clean the threads on
the tube as best as you can and use some loctite on the new gland nut,
as they have a tendency to work themselves loose.

Worst case scenario, you can't get the old units apart, try to find a
pair of strut assemblies from a salvage yard, like www.taprecycling.com
in Rancho Cordova.  '93-'95 had the same P/N.  I think I have a good
left strut housing and a broken right one if you need them.  I think I
also have some old gland nuts.

Peter