Re: Towing Question: Dodge Dakota

To: "David Disney" <disney7@vic.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Towing Question: Dodge Dakota
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:02:41 -0600
David Disney wrote:

> Automatic or Manual? I prefer manual, but I hear that the newer autos
> have a higher towing capacity than the manuals. Anyone know how the
> trannys hold up?

Hi Dave,

I happen to have a '99 Dakota Sport (extended cab, short bed, 5.2L,
Automatic) in my shop right now (I own an AAMCO Transmissions Center).  It
belongs to a friend of mine and we are overhauling the transmission.  I have
not towed with this truck but I have driven it extensively for the last few
days.

  Its a very nice truck to drive; comfortable, reasonably roomy, good power.
A couple of things I noticed about it.   The final drive gear is pretty
short for a V8 truck.  I don't know what it is but it does turn more rpm
than I expected on the interstate.  That should make it a good tow vehicle
for a 3000+ lbs load but daily driver mileage may take a hit.  Also, the
automatic that's in it was not the unit I had expected a V8 truck to have.
It has the mid-range A500 instead of the beefy A518.

As for the transmission, this truck is the only combination of V8 and A500
automatic I have seen.  All full size V8 Dodge trucks get the beefier A518
automatic and I had assumed that a Dakota with a V8 would also get the 518.
I don't know if the 518 is optional or if they have downsized the automatics
in all V8 Dakotas.  The A500 is typically found in 6 clinder applications
(V6 Dakotas and L6 Jeeps).

Either transmission is reasonably reliable as automatics go.  The A500
should be able to handle your load OK.

As for the manuals.  We don't see a lot of them.  I have heard the manuals
are problematic from people on a Dakota list but we haven't seen that.
Perhaps there just are not that many around.

Steve Hoelscher
#27 DSP