Re: Fontana Site Surface?

To: "Scott Troyer - TestEng DRAM Repair" <stroyer@micron.com>
Subject: Re: Fontana Site Surface?
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 14:21:31 -0800
Scott-

I think California Speedway is a fantastic site.  There's a huge amount of
room and the back lot we normally use would make an incredible National Tour
site.  March will probably be the better conditions than the summer when we
usually use the facility.  We have a site (Norton) that is really low grip.
CS is much much better than that.  It's just a long ways from El Toro or
Wendover or Topeka.  I imagine they will run the street sweepers over the
lot and March will be the end of the rainy season and it should be pretty
clean.  But the grit does lift out of the asphalt so it will never be
perfect.   If we ran every event at CS it would be fine with me, even though
I like running on higher grip.  It's not a big issue, I was really just
offering the low grip comments out there for outof towners concerned with
car setup.

I am a little confused on which lot we're using.  I've heard both.  One is
like a runway site, but maybe too narrow for side by side courses.  The end
lot is fantastic and much cleaner.  But it has interesting elevation changes
on one side sort of like San Diego's West lot.  You'd have to get a little
creative to build fairly equal mirrored courses.  But in either case they
are plenty big to build good length courses.  Just each has unique
challenges.  If anybody can make it right it's course designer Tom Berry.

-Steve Ekstrand
Cal Club

> Steve, you are not giving me a real warm and fuzzy feeling about the
Fontana site.
> I've been considering coming down for the ProSolo, but now I'm beginning
to wonder
> if I should.  What will the ProSolo courses be like? any idea? long (40s)
or short (25s).