Re: Off Topic: Merc Sable Fuel/Ignition Shutoff?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Merc Sable Fuel/Ignition Shutoff?
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 07:34:26 -0500
On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 22:56:25 -0500, "Red Raevyn" <redraevyn@softhome.net> wrote:

>Consider me edjemucated. : )  It'll take a lot more than that to get me on
>Ford's production side, but I appreciate a lesson anytime, thanks for
>sharing.   I see how it would make a lot of sense to have it cut off in an
>accident situation and such, but what she spelled to me was just losing the
>passenger side onto the gravel and bringing it back -  I think I'll have to
>take that as the questionable factor ;)

Probably a good idea, Greg.  The fuel pump shutoff switch should only activate
with impact beyond a certain 'g' threshold -- so just going onto gravel
wouldn't be a problem.  Going onto gravel and through a few holes might trip
it, though.

Don't castigate Ford for a safety feature -- as others have said, the point of
the switch is to shut off the electric fuel pump in the event of an impact so
that, if a fuel line is breached, the pump isn't pumping raw fuel out into a
hostile environment.  And its location, operation, and procedure for resetting
is quite clearly described in the owner's manual... so RTFM certainly applies
here.

Jim Crider
autojim@despammed.com