Re: Modified classes/karts

To: marc smith <marcjs1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Modified classes/karts
From: Steven Fooshee <sfooshee@clubrx.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 10:00:22 -0600
marc smith wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I was wondering
>
> has anyone ever used  a bmw motorcycle drive train for karts or for
> modified cars?
>
> On top of my CRX project,  I am looking at a 1986 bmw K100 motorcycle
>  1000cc inline 4  that has significant bodywork damage, but no frame
> damage.  Just wonding if a modified car is possible/doable with this
> setup.  bmws do have shaft drive. which might be one(of many) hiccups

BMW motorcycle engines have a very low power to weight ratio. It's nice for it
to be
that understressed if you want to roll a quarter-million mikes on your bike
(like my
friend has), but not the best thing for a race car. The possibility of a low
center of
gravity from having the engine laid down is nullified by the tall oil sump and
crankcase.
--
Driving is easy.
All you have to do is put the car in the right place with the right velocity.

"I think that my computer must have a virus.  All of your puncutation and
capital letters have been taken out of your post.  Either that, or you're
illiterate."
-Keith Wells