RE: Oil Change Intervals and FRAM

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Change Intervals and FRAM
From: "Bruce Haden" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:05:19 -0800
Acura specifies 10,000 mile oil change intervals for normal
driving in my 2002 RSX-S. Can they be serious? Is oil that
good these days?

My wife drives a 2001 Z-3 2.5 and I just bought a 2003 Dodge
Ram 1500 with the 4.7. I changed the oil and filter on them at around
7000
and neither had even used half a quart. Better machining techniques
and modern fuel injection make a lot of difference because of the
drastic reduction in blow-by that contaminates the oil. I wouldn't trust
the 20,000
mile filter change even if it is probably OK. Filters are so cheap, even
for a premium brand, that I think it's foolhardy to take the chance. The
Z-3 uses Mobil 1 and I am giving Royal Purple a try in the truck.
Synthetics are
a wonderful invention.

Another FRAM indictment below from another list (Lotus Super 7);

I don't know if I told you are not but my original Zetec seized up over
Memorial Day last year.  The oil pressure blew off the oil filter ring.
So guess what brand of filter I am no longer using "pay me now or pay me
later".  I talked to a couple of Zetec racers that were running the same
setup and they had similiar experiences at very high rpm.

        DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS!!!!!!!!!!!