Re: My Auto Events privacy stuff

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My Auto Events privacy stuff
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:32:27 -0800
On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 06:00  AM, Crider, James A. wrote:
> Chuck, take a Quaalude and relax.  My Auto Events.com is owned and
> operated by fellow autocrosser (and winner of the 2002 Detroit Region
> Solo Enthusiast of the Year) Steve Couture.  Steve's about as
> anti-spam as they come, and despite registering at the start of last
> year at myautoevents.com with my primary home e-mail address, I
> haven't seen spam one from any of his advertisers.  This is that
> increasingly-rare case where a site owner and operator are honorable
> and are very much interested in making their customers happy.  I
> realize that you figure the world owes you an explanation for
> everything, since you spent so much money on it.  In this case, you're
> WRONG.  You're wrong about Steve Couture, you're wrong about
> myautoevents.com, and you're wrong about the SCCA National Office,
> SEB, and SAC.

Be that as it may, IMHO SCCA should be handling this in-house. I
suspect the real motivation for this is the poor job that the current
web developers have been doing. Many SCCA regions and independent
autocrossing organizations have better websites than SCCA National has.
If cost is a factor then make it a volunteer position, I am sure there
are many web gurus out there that would do it in exchange for a work
assignment or free entries to National events or even just the glory.
But no matter who does the website it is my opinion that the whole
thing out to be done in-house, not on a third-party site, even one with
the best of intentions.

IMHO,

- Alan Dahl

Volunteer Webmaster, Western Washington Sports Car Council, 1995-2002