Re: 02-03 mustang GT..?

To: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: 02-03 mustang GT..?
From: "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@foo3.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:43:07 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Dick Rasmussen wrote:

> Scott,
>
> First question: Did you know that the car has traction control and the
> default is "On"?

yeah, first thing i switched off.

> We own a 97 GT automatic which has a LOT less power and torque in its 4.6
> V8 than my 2001 GT has. Assuming what is wanted is a peppy car for around
> town and highway use, it would be hard to imagine a properly running
> automatic feeling slow off the line . . . assuming you had it in Drive
> rather than starting in second (the "2" position in the shifter). Traction
> is generally the limiting factor. Both my wife and I generally beat just
> about anyone across an intersection. I have to get a holeshot to beat her
> with my 5 spd 2001 (and I'm quick enough off the line to have won a whole
> bunch of Pro Solo's in my Formula Ford). If you left foot brake the
> automatic (not power braking . . . just using the left foot) it is easier
> to launch the auto quickly in normal driving than it is to launch the stick.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by twitchy throttle response. Both of ours
> respond in a linear manner.

started in D the first time, then realized that it was starting in 2nd
gear not first... so next light i threw it down into "1" and romped on it.
Better, but not impressive, and i knew i would be swearing at that damned
automatic every time i drove it if we bought it :)  Told my wife if she
really wants a mustang, it *will* be a GT 5-speed, after that test drive
:) (or a cobra...)

> The steering and suspension are what they are . . . Mustangs are not RX7's
> . . .  but then RX7's are not Formula Fords <grin>.
>
> The automatic is probably calibrated to be slow to downshift to first gear,
> but generally the car has so much low end torque that you don't need a
> downshift for any reasonable "street" acceleration, especially pulling away
> from corners in town. Again, traction is more likely to be the limiting
>factor.
>
> FYI I just drove a 2002 Nissan Maxima automatic rental for about a 1000
> miles. Even with regular gas (premium is recommended for best performance)
> that car was also quick. I accidently got to smell tire smoke once<grin>.

heh :)  thinking about getting my wife an Accord V6.  the 2003s have a
240hp V6 with a 5-speed automatic.  That plus trailer hitch plus trailer
== once i relearn how to drive competitively I can build a Prepared or Mod
car and compete.  Either that or build my Rx7 to SM2 competitive spec...
not sure yet.  Right now i just want it back from the body shop.  Stupid
tire place backed it into a truck after getting new tires... at least
they're paying for it plus a rental car, and at a good body shop.

THEN I get it back from my mechanic, and it should be making full boost
again (he limits the boost to 6psi for first 1000 miles after a new
rebuild).  With the precat removed though it was faster at 6psi than it
was at 10psi on the old motor/old exhaust system, so can't wait to see it
at 10psi now :)  esp. if i spring for the power-FC computer...