CURRENT Recappers

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: CURRENT Recappers
From: KWall73108@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:51:52 EST
Thanks to all those who responded with that very interesting trip down recap
memory lane which appeared to indicate that recaps can be made that have
significant grip.  A google search appears to show there are some circle
trackers still using recaps but a source for a current recapper hasn't
surfaced, any suggestions on where to look?  Our autox sport with its
sub-sixty second runs appears ideal for a recap tire because it could
possibly cut a tire budget in half, possibly use less energy to recap an
existing carcass than produce a whole new tire and cut down on tire recycle
problems.  For example, if there are ten thousand autoxers going through two
sets of R compound or slicks a year, that's 80,000 thousand tires that have
to get recycled or worse, go into landfills.  The average milage per tire is
probably around one hundred, but that can be rationalized because it's a
sport right?  The failure of roadrace recap appears dangerous, but could
someone explain the danger of an autox recap?  Couldn't the recap be sold
with a not for use on the street disclaimer to cover that liability?  I don't
know how a state of the art low profilte street tire carcass would accept a
soft compound recap, any ideas?  I don't know how a discarded road racing
slick would accept a very soft compound recap, any ideas?

TIA,
Kevin Wallace