I am moving to southern CA

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: I am moving to southern CA
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 01:01:14 -0500
It has finally happened. I got a job offer I could not refuse, so I am leaving
Chicago and moving to the LA area. I have not totally decided where I am going
to live yet, but my office is going to be in Burbank. Hopefully I can hook up
with some of the local autocrossers out there, sO at least it will feel a
little like home. I know I talked with a few of you from out there at Nationals
this past Sept. I was #42 Street Mod, the red 1983 Toyota Celica with the turbo
setup. I have already begun the task of trying to make my car legal to drive
there. I know I have have alot to do to "clean it up" The car is clean at the
tail pipe, but that just isn't good enough for California. My options seem a
bit limited at this point. One is pulling off my turbo system and putting a
stock EFI system back in. UGH! Going from 300 hp to 105hp sure does not sound
like an option. After nationals, I had to drive on the crap Topeka 91 octane
gas, and I wrecked the rings, so the motor is already torn down for a winter
re-build. So it is a fair time to do something radical. I have found it is
legal to use a later model stock engine if properly installed, so I am looking
into options. One that comes to mind is a 90's Celica alltrac 3SGTE turbo
motor. There are kits to stuff it into a rear drive car on my trans, so it can
be done, and it is even a Celica motor. Totally stock it makes 200 hp, and with
CARB legal parts it can make close to 300 hp as well. Except for alot of work
and money, it sounds like a good choice. It even takes a fair chunk of weight
off the nose, and can shift the weight to the right in the car too.
I am looing forward to my new job, but not looking forward to moving.
Gary Meissner