Subject: Re: Supplemental classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Re: Supplemental classes
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:36:16 -0400
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>

<It's not normally enough (or it shouldn't be, anyway) for a class to
make
numbers at Nationals in order to gain full national status.  The class
should also have some reasonable rate of subscription at the local level,
should be forecast to have some staying power, and should be good for the
sport as a whole.  Or that's my impression, anyway.

I know of no way the SEB has to measure the participation of any
particular class on the local level. The only number they have at their
fingertips is the total number of entries from insurance paperwork.

Different classes have differing participation levels throughout the
country depending on a lot of factors. Looking at the SEDIV only EP and
FM are well subscribed among the Prepared and Modified category. Does
that mean those categories are in trouble? No, just not well subscribed
here. Even the all-powerful CP isn't well subscribed on the local level
in most parts of the country.

IMO, nationals participation is the ONLY accurate measurement for a
National Championship.

Now, how can you "forcast" the "staying power" of a class? And I can't
think of any of the supplemental classes that aren't good for the sport
as a whole, IMO.

Ben Thatcher
http://ApexBenefits.biz