Re: Novice needs suggestions.

To: "!Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Novice needs suggestions.
From: "Will Kalman" <will@kalman.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:28:20 -0800
I agree with Alan and Dave!  Tighten the loose nut behind the wheel first.

I started autocrossing about two years ago and had a set of Nitto NT-450's -
the NT stands for No Traction.  I knew after my first event that the tires
weren't good and my first thought was "what do I have to buy to get
faster?".  Thankfully, I resisted that temptation and ran the Nittos for the
remainder of the year, dropping time relative to other competitors all
along.  Now that I've started to pull things together in the driving
department, I've been upgrading the hardware and taking time to adjust my
driving to it.  And don't get discouraged when your times "plateau", I've
found that after running the same relative times as the rest of the class
for months, something inexplicably "clicks" and I get a bit faster from then
on.

Will Kalman
'91 Escort GT
Cal Club #232 STS