Which Hoosier compound? Different sized tires?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Which Hoosier compound? Different sized tires?
From: Michael Herrick <conekiller75@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:54:42 -0800 (PST)
Hey all,

I need some opinions and experiences from some of you
about my question.  My car's builder and I are trying
to decide which compound tire to use for the upcoming
season.  Really the problem is to find a tire that
will last the longest without giving up grip.  We have
narrowed it down to the R45 and R33 compounds.  Will
the R45's grip be substantially less than the R33, and
will the R45 last that much longer?  Basically, we
want a sticky tire that we won't have to replace every
other event.  For what it's worth, I'll be running
about 2 or 3 one-day events per month, with an
occasional divisional event.  And the car is an E
Prepared Civic hatchback, weighing 1600 pounds.  Tire
size is 20x9.5x13.

Also I've noted that almost all front drive cars in
prepared put wider tires on the front.  I understand
this concept in a stock car, where preparations are
limited, but shouldn't a person be able to eliminate
the need for different sized tires by tuning the
chassis more equally to all corners?  Just a thought.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Herrick
Wichita Region SCCA
EP 1985 Honda Civic