RE: 800 lb. foot in mouth

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 800 lb. foot in mouth
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:02:23 -0500
No, it's the manufacturers that set different amounts.  And while I would
have thought (as you do) that this would be a standard based on lug bolt
diameter, it's not.

For example, on my BMW the proper torque setting is 72-74 foot pounds.
Quite a bit less than the 90 foot pounds one shop tried to argue for when
changing my tires.

Which reminds me of an engineers joke.  Many years ago, the engineers in
Detroit did a study and found that it requires 4 lug bolts to hold a wheel
on a car.  This is why most American cars have 4 lug bolts.  And why most
German cars have 5.  And why most Italian cars have 3.

Chris Eckles
Atlanta
Blue M Coupe

Are the bolts larger on these other cars that people need to torque them
down so much?

Etgar Nerenberg
<