Re: Kumhos and Sentras

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Kumhos and Sentras
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:32:52 -0600
>>2) Anybody been autoxing the new Sentra SER Spec V?  How have they
done?<<

I got a chance to do a "spirited" test drive in one the other day.  Overall, I
was pretty impressed.  The suspension felt pretty tight even though I had just
jumped out of my Ground Control shod Civic.  The 6-speed shifter felt great to
me, but I like just a little bit of "notchiness" in a shifter.  The Skyline
front end does a lot for the look of the car, nice seats, and the 17" wheels
are nice too.  Overall, a great looking package for $18k.  The helical LSD
feels good too.  The model I tested came without a sunroof or killer stereo, so
it is possible to get a somewhat 'stripped' model.

The only real negative I could come up with is that the engine runs out of
breath pretty quick.  The power band is about 2000 rpm's wide.  It's a good
thing it's a 6 speed because you'll be rowing it like a boat.  I found that the
best shift point is about 5800 rpm's, and that power really drops off before
the 6200 rev limit.  First gear is very short, and 2nd gear is done pretty soon
too, so you'll be forced to upshift before the ITR's.  The advantage is, you
may not need to downshift in other places because that "big ole" 2.5L motor has
a *lot* of torque at 3000 rpm's.

I can't find any weight numbers on the Spec V, but if it weighs under 2800 lbs,
then it could be a good autox car IMO.  Certainly better than the new Civic Si.
 No LSD, very little torque, less HP... What a joke.  2880 lbs says it all...

-brad