shock costs

To: autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: shock costs
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:54:27 EST
People, please get a grip on yourselves.  You're worse than a bunch
overzealous newshounds trying to drive up the 9/11 body count.

NOBODY I know of is paying $8,000 for shocks.  I have no idea where this
figure is coming from, but all of a sudden it's being posted all over the
place by a bunch of pseudo-experts.  In particular, the most expensive set of
shocks I know of cost $6000 and were installed on a certain Porsche Boxster
S.  It immediately went from being a top performer to the bottom of the
class.  When the OE shocks were reinstalled it suddenly became competitive
again and finished 3rd at Nat's.  The two cars ahead of it were on $1900/set
Penske single adjustables with a bunch of higher priced shocks back in the
field.  So what does that say?

The typical cost for quality shocks is $800 - $4500, with a few exceptions on
either end.  It's not unusual for the $800 shocks to win over the $4500 ones.
 It's very naive to think that if you install $6000 shocks you will suddenly
be God on wheels, kicking butt and taking names, as some have suggested. I
hate to break it to you, but you're being beat by the DRIVER not their
SHOCKS!

The real issue is not the cost, but rather how poorly informed so many of us
are on the subject.

Mark