Re: battery question

To: "Bruce Wentzel" <greendotracing@netzero.net>,
Subject: Re: battery question
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 20:44:10 -0500
At 05:31 PM 1/1/02 -0500, Bruce Wentzel wrote:
>Someone asked and got some good responses sometime last year about small
>light non acid car batteries but I've lost it. Anybody help me?
>Bruce

Bruce,

I don't have the messages but here is a link to the battery I'm now using
in my Formula Ford. The Panasonic Sealed Lead Acid batteries seem to have a
good reputation and are a bunch cheaper than some of the "famous racing"
brands. Mine was about $55 delivered.

This design seems to be at least as rugged as an "off brand" (Checker
and/or Genibrel) that I got from Racer Wholesale many years ago that held
up very well. The Checker was much more rugged appearing than the Yuasha
that used to be the norm for small formula cars.

http://www.gotbatteries.com/Productpage.asp?ProductNum=LC-X1220P

Here is a link to Panasonic.
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/chem/seal/index.html

If you scroll down to the links to the spec sheets, there is a lot of good
info.

Note that one concern in the past with Sealed Lead Acid Batteries was the
need to charge them slowly.

It appears that new technology has solved that problem. Even the 20 AH one
in my car is rated for up to 8A initial charging current.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford