Re: Solo on TV

To: <Ghsharp@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo on TV
From: "Brian Garfield" <bgarfield@md.adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:45:37 -0500
GH, actually, that was another reason I hesitate on pursuing it.

In all honesty, my first goal was a selfish one.  It was to keep me working,
in both a field that I love and a topic I love.
I still think I could do it for that again, as long as it was on a channel
such as Speedvision, where mostly racers/would-be racers tune in.  I DO feel
that exposing the sport to the mainstream market can ruin it.

Without thinking all day about it, here's what I believe happens:
- You get much higher participation which at a local level can be very
difficult to accommodate.  Some areas, like D.C. have had a difficult time
finding good lots (until very recently) so we've had most events fill in
less than 30 minutes.
- Many more one-timers with less seriousness and possibly less concern.
- More accidents which brings NEGATIVE local television exposure and a bad
reputation.  Not to mention more misunderstanding from the public and law
enforcement.

But, I only believe the above would happen if it ended up on Fox's regular
network and it would be called "When Pylons Attack!"

Brian Garfield