Failed NOx emissions. HELP!!!!

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Failed NOx emissions. HELP!!!!
From: Yuri Klepach <civicr1992@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:29:40 -0800 (PST)
Hi guys!

My 1992 Civic just failed NOx emissions (1990 vs 1370 allowable).  CO & HC were
around 30-40% of the limit.  The engine is B18B1 from 94 Acura Integra
(non-VTEC).  No internal mods.  External mods are: Cold Air Intake, 4-1 DC
header, cat (installed last spring) & 2.50" SS tubing.  The engine has around
100K but is very clean inside (shiny) & it doesn't burn any oil (always Mobil
1).  I have a brand new O2 sensor (2 months old) & spark plugs were replaced
last summer w/NGK.   One detail: my cat sits about 10-12" away from the header.
 Would mounting the car right next to the header help?

Now, can you suggest what to do to reduce NOx?  Clean throttle body?  How about
removing the crank ventilation hose from the intake tube?  Replace the spark
plugs w/brand new ones?  Will retarding of timing help to reduce NOx (heard
that version)?

Please suggest me what would help, I only have 45 days to fix everything (damn
Jersey).

Sorry that the post isn't very AutoX related (I did AutoX though).

Thank you for any info/suggestions.

Yuri Klepach