Re: Virus found

To: "Marvin Martin" <marvin325@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Virus found
From: "Mike Hood" <mhood@frontlinepc.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 08:22:27 -0600
Whoah thats one of the worst virii out there. One of my clients got a hold
of it and lost 2 machines because of it. I have first hand experience trying
to clean the thing, it's not easy. Make sure it is gone from your system!!
Unless you are a lawyer, it's USUALLY rather benign. Most strains of magistr
will not drop it's payload and infect, unless it finds a document containing
3 legal phrases (the virus caries a list of many phrases both in enligsh and
the spanish equiv). If it does infect you it will corrupt files and
eventually overwite some of your core windows files I.E. win.com (win9x) or
NTLDR (win NT/2000). The main nasty thing some strains of  it can do is
flash the bios of some computer motherboards with a bunch of garbage making
the computer dead for the most part. If it has a name brand motherboard a
replacement bios chip can be found, if it's fairly generic there usually
isn't hope but changing the mainboard. It'll also pop up nice messages on
your screen containing obscene language :P~

Here is a nice link about the first version of the virus (magistr.a)
http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=PE_MAGISTR.A&;
VSect=T

One bad thing about this virus is that because of it's polymorphic
nature.... it changes on the fly making it sometimes impossible to detect by
most virus scanners. I would suggest downloading the free trial of Etrust
InoculateIT, which is about the best virii scanner out there..... Just to
make sure it is truly gone. It can be found here
http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=2619 They claim to find 100% of
virii, and over the years I have found many machines that the latest version
of NAV, Mcafee, and AVG didn't find a virus but inoculateIT/Inoculan from
cheyenne did.

-Mike

Going back to lurk mode. Too many PC's/Networks to fix and too little
time... Mebbe thats why I haven't autox'd in 2 years.