Re: Toe inches & degrees...Past response

To: "Pete Holsberg" <pjh@mccc.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Toe inches & degrees...Past response
From: "Jeff Cawthorne" <jabberwalky13@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:40:51 -0800
Here you go, I got this from this list quite a while ago:

Measure your wheel/tire across the hub.  This gives the tire diameter (D).

pi*D = circumference in inches (C) = 360 degrees

.06 inches * 360 degrees / C = toe in degrees

You can get a decent approximation for D without measuring it by using the
tire height value posted by the manufacturer.

Readings in:    Inchs           Degrees         Millimeters
                1/32            .03             .79
                1/16            .06             1.6
                3/32            .09             2.4
                1/8             .13             3.2
                5/32            .16             4.0
                3/16            .19             4.8
                7/32            .22             5.6
                1/4             .25             6.4

Note these would be the same for toe-in as well as toe-out, only toe-out

would read as a negative figure.

> The printout for my last wheel alignment showed that toe
> was measured in inches, but the factory manual shows it in
> degrees.
>
> How do I convert from one to the other?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete