Re: Untouchable = SP

To: "washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Untouchable = SP
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 04:11:50 -0500
Thanks, Pat.

On our disagreement :-) -- what I mean is that the broad concept of the
category is basically carved in stone now. Just as the broad concepts of
Stock, Prep and Mod are.

But of course changes will happen, never-ending. It is extremely difficult
to undo something because it threatens the investment so many have put into
it. Less difficult to modify things over time. The difficulty there is
usually that those who begin such a process are usually not those there to
complete it, and the vision of the successor rulemakers may differ.

But can a genie be stuffed back into a bottle? Yes it can. Stock had its
overbore allowance rescinded several years ago. Overbore was allowed because
it was a cheap fix for a broken cylinder. But of course once allowed, the
top dogs all did it because it was more ccs and more horses. It was finally
realized that Stock cars, in general, do not hurt themselves in ways that
require an overbore fix very often and so in the realization that the person
made to buy a whole new block rather than overbore would be quite rare, the
SEB essayed the idea of rescinding the rule. Then, the realization that the
top dogs tended not to stay with a given car very long (even if they'd spent
the money to overbore, in a couple of years they'd sell it and get something
else -- look at how everyone in SS seems to have a new Z06 this year), and
they went ahead and stuffed that genie back in the bottle.

SP drivers, however, tend to keep their cars longer. And we trenchant bozos
in P keep ours for freakin' ever! So, you undo something in SP or P and
people will feel their "loss of investment" to a much greater extent.

--Rocky