RE: SM/SP Costs

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SM/SP Costs
From: Keith Srakocic <Keith944T@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:37:20 -0700 (PDT)
Ya know, I once heard...
There is only one way to make a small fortune in any kind of racing...
Start with a large one.

The reality is that people will spend whatever they can to win.
Some spend it on buying the "Hot" car. Some spend it on making their car the
"Hot" car.
And others spend it on going and doing as much as possible to learn to drive
better.

And the really fortunate do all of the above.

Look at CP, one could buy a Trans-Am Car that could cost well over $100,000
and be very competitive. I'm not sure there are enough weight penalties to
nullify a 700 HP, purpose built,carbon fibre, race car.

That said, I do think there are less expensive ways to make an extremely
competitive legal street mod car.

For example...
Buy one GTPinto, buy one junker Pinto, buy one Jericho tranny and a 9"
Detroit locker, spend your real cash on an aluminum boss 302.
Stir well and bake at 400 degrees for a couple hours.

I think you'll find more people doing this kind of tinkering than making the
killer Supra or Porsche (if they were allowed). Especially if and when the
guy in the Pinto (or Honda/Golf/ etc.) kills the Big buck car.
So what if somebody spends more money than seems wise, we see it at every
event. Unlike the Yankees, they don't always win.

Keith

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/