No new cars in SP?

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: No new cars in SP?
From: "Howell, Brett (4149)" <brett.howell@esavio.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:05:33 -0400
Um...for those who claim that SP is not attracting new cars:
-The RX-7's seem to be capable in ASP with a little more development.
Vipers? 911s? Ferraris?
-Aren't the late model BMW M3's supposed to be an outside shot in BSP? And
the Vettes are not all old.
-The Miatae have staked a claim in CSP I do believe.
-Integras and Neons in DSP are needing some seasoning (no offense intended
to anyone), but their biggest problem is that Hoelscher has put the time and
money into developing and driving his Fiat.
-ESP is full of late model pony cars.
-I have been developing a 92 Honda Civic (5th generation - 92 thru 95) for a
couple of years and if I could ever figure out how to drive worth a sh_t
then it could be competitive in FSP (it's currently street legal I might
add, and not too uncomfortable on the streets). I know Brad Cox is working
on a 6G Civic in FSP.

I still contend that the reason the cars that are winning in SP are, on the
average, older is because it typically takes years (and a great deal of
skill) to develop the cars to their potential under these rules. SM will
undergo the same aging process...mark my word. In fact, I think it will
eventually require more time and skill to completely develop a SM car (and
probably more money). And as the top dogs in the class get further down the
path of development, the cream of the crop of SM will probably seem just as
difficult to reach as the cream of the crop of SP.

>From personal experience I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with a
class full of people like J.K. Jackson, Chris Moore, Jinx Jordan, Guy St.
John, Kevin Wenzel, Ian Mannix, Geoff Leicester, Geoffry Zimmer, Chris
Peterson, etc. and the cars they drive (I'm talking FSP). These are all
extrordinarily enjoyable folks to compete with, and they all drive diverse,
older, very cool cars. There is no huge barrier to entry to this class, or
the whole SP category, and all these people will not only tell you exactly
what it takes to build a car just like theirs, they might even help you turn
a wrench. The trick to winning, though, is learning to drive as well as
them.

Before we talk about bequeathing the future of Solo II to SM let's see what
happens once SM's baby teeth start falling out.

J. Brett Howell
#113 FSP