Re: Dennis's Agenda

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dennis's Agenda
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:50:28 -0400
"Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com> wrote:

This is my last word on this subject. I refuse to be dragged into a
mudslinging contest, and now that Marcus has come out of the closet and
claimed his idea, I can stop acting as his advocate - he is quite capable
of defending his idea himself, or not, as he sees fit.

> Here's a link to an interesting post of Dennis' on the sut (Street Mod)
list.

> I'll quote a couple of lines here:

> "If I could have morphed SP into SM without adding any new classes, I
would have done so."

> I.e., Dennis' goal all along has been to make SP into his image of the
"right" allowances. > Creating a "new" class was a second choice,

Abso-freaking-lutely creating (strictly speaking, having a hand in creating
- it wasn't just me) a new class was a second choice. As strange as it may
sound, I'm firmly on the side of those who believe that we have too many
classes. We do. Unquestionably. For me, it's not even a point of argument.

But I also believed that Street Prepared's ruleset was not meeting the
needs of a great many people, and that something had to be done to change
that. The "sin" of creating a new class was smaller than the "sin" of
letting not serving the needs of this untapped mass of people, so I backed
that when it became apparent that changing Street Prepared was not an
option.

Most ironically, Street Prepared WAS meeting MY needs just fine, thank you.
I had NO intention of running in SM myself. That changed in the 1999
Nationals Town Hall, when I was basically dared to put my money where my
mouth was and run in the class myself. SM was for me an interesting
academic exercise, not some plan for world dominination, nor an attempt to
create a class where I would win. Do you think the Supra or the M3 would be
allowed anywhere NEAR the class if it was?

> and he's still trying to achieve choice #1.

I am trying to reconcile my desire to reduce the number of classes with the
need to serve the SM population. Many, MANY people have expressed the
opinion that SM makes for a better SP, and even more take a middle ground,
where they think SM goes too far; SP goes not far enough. I have been
unable to find a way whereby we could consolidate SM with SP in a way that
was fair to all concerned - I don't want to see ***ANYONE*** screwed - and
Marcus' idea seemed like it might be a solution.

Some people like the idea, some people hate it, some are in the middle.
Suprise! Life works like that. I posted the idea so I could get some other
eyeballs looking at it, and hear some other opinions. Those opinions - for
OR against - are all valuable, and MOST of the people who were against it
managed to present their objections to the idea in a polite and civil
manner.

Thank you. You folks provided the insight I was looking for.

Jay, you could take a lesson or two there.

>> "In my opinion, it was a greater sin to not serve the SM audience than
>> to add a class or two. But if there's any way to serve the same people
>> with the same level of parity with less classes,"

Yes, this is my quote. Read what it SAYS, Jay. Stop trying to read in
meanings that are not there.

> IOW, serve the folks who agree with Dennis at the expense of those who do
not.

Oh for God's sake, what part of "SERVE THE SAME PEOPLE WITH THE SAME LEVEL
OF PARITY" did you not understand? I DO NOT want to screw the SP people.
That is NOT part of my agenda. If it turns out to be impossible to mix
classes a la Marcus's proposal without screwing someone, then the idea
DOESN'T FLY. PERIOD.

Again, most of the people with objections managed to make their opinion
that finding that equity would be improbable (or impossible) without
stooping to personal attacks. Cool. Thank you again. Maybe Jay will learn
from your example.

> I encourage anyone interested to read Dennis' post in its entirety.

Please do. In fact, please (if you have time) read the ENTIRE THREAD in its
entirety, and realize while doing so that I was playing Devil's Advocate
for the idea. (And now that the Devil has shown his horns, I can quite
happily stop)

I have nothing to hide, nor have I anything to be ashamed of. If anybody
wants to know what my "agenda" is, all you have to do is ask me.

DG