Re: best roadster?

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: best roadster?
From: "Dr. Stuart Strickland" <stuart@strickland.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:41:03 +0200
Although I tend to agree that it's a silly question, I can't help throwing in
my two-cents worth.

First I should say that I drove a '94 Miata in CS for a couple of years.  I
still have it, but haven't competed since moving to Europe in '98.  The Miata
is a fantastic car right out of the box.  And it won't cost you an arm and a
leg to do just about everything allowed in stock.  It doesn't have much torque,
but it's also much, much lighter than some of the other cars that have been
mentioned.  To my mind, the Boxster and the Z3 suffer on weight.  The M version
of the Z3 might make up for it -- don't know, haven't driven it -- but that's
still a lot of metal to carry around a tight course.  I would recommend a bare
(no AC, ABS, power steering, etc.) '94 or later, if you can find one.  Please
note:  I'm not saying it's not possible to win in some of these other cars, I'm
just saying that, in my personal opinion, a lighter car is much more fun to
drive.

I realize this is not a serious option on your side of the Atlantic, but,
having retired the Miata, I'm returning to autocross in Germany this season
with a Lotus Elise (www.stuart.strickland.net/elise.html).  This is the only
car on the market here that I could have imagined buying.  If anyone's
interested, I'll post an occassional report on how I'm doing against the local
competition.

On the other hand, if by "all around" you mean that it has to have enough trunk
and/or passenger space to carry your tires (or even a bag of groceries) to an
event, maybe you're better off with the Miata after all.

Cheers,
Stuart

                                /\
                               /  \