The Mission of SCCA

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: The Mission of SCCA
From: "Charlemagne Rex" <lesser_of2evils@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 14:53:53 -0000
First off, I think that when he said " The Sports Car Club of America was
founded to preserve and maintain classic sporting cars from the vintage era
- -", that he meant just that. It was founded --- A long time ago. That's
what it was. It does not neccesarially mean that that is its intended
purpose now. That fits in with what everyone has been saying in response.
The club has no reason to focus "classic" cars as their main focus because
there aren't many of them left, and even worse, not many of them that would
or even should be autocrossed, rallied, or roadraced.
Second, in my case, I drive a 4 door Civic because it is cheap on insurance.
It is just about the cheapest thing to drive (cost to buy, gas, insurance,
etc.) that can be used to have any driving enjoyment.One of those "classic"
cars would likely be expensive, uninsurable (by a 21 year old), and not be
able to take corners as fast as my civic with 15" wheels. Plus, where would
I put my sub-box? And-- converting all accessories from 6 volt to 12 volt
--- what a hassle. Not for me.
Anyway, the point is, there are many people out there like me ($5 racing
budget) who would find some other club if this one didn't fit their needs.
Then there are others still, that would drop out of racing forever.

my 2 cents

Chuck Mathews