WRX in FSP?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: WRX in FSP?
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:40:00 -0500
Since this is THE PLACE to argue about classing issues... ;-)

I noticed the new WRX goes to FSP according to www.moutons.org/sccasolo/ .
This was a bit surpising for me so I looked up the stats and compared them to a
2G Eagle Talon AWD turbo (via Carpoint).  What I came up with surprised me a
bit.  Compared to a 1998 2G Talon AWD turbo (which is classed in ESP), the WRX
is approx. 70 lbs lighter, 0.6 inches narrower, and about 0.5 inches longer.
The WRX motor is rated 17 HP greater, with 2 ft/lbs more torque.  Also, please
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Subaru opposing 4 cylinder motor
design result in a lower center of gravity?

Given this info, I'm wondering if there is some major flaw in the suspension
design, or if this classing decision was based on the idea that it would be
difficult to make significantly more HP out of the WRX motor under SP rules.
OR, maybe it could be related to that whole "free SCCA membership" thing. ;-)
Even with some of these issues, moving it all the way "down" to FSP seems a bit
extreme. Why not at least a stop off in DSP where some other GS cars can be
found.  Can y'all help me understand?

-brad