Re: A Visit from Racer Nicholas

To: "Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>,
Subject: Re: A Visit from Racer Nicholas
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:47:16 -0600
I ran this every year when I was the editor of THE RIGHT LINE.

From: Murray, Matthew D. <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>
>From Rennlist (the Porsche list [with Audi & BMW]) www.rennlist.com

Which list does not deserve the credit, of course.  I think this originated
in "Road and Track" (not yet "Road & Track") back in the fifties.  I figued
it was old enough that R&T's lawyers would not hunt me down.

>Some paint for the Bug, marked "French Racing Bleu",
>Castrol, a blower, and dual carbies, too;
>The last thing he left was the best that could be,
>A year's "Road and Track" for the family and me.
>
>He jumped to the sleigh and gave his commands,
>Then away they all flew like the start at Le Mans,
>And I heard him exclaim as he quickened the pace,
>Merry Christmas to all and to all a good race!

For those too young to know, "Bug" did not refer to Volkswagen in this poem.

I wrote an extra verse for my readers:

 This poem's so old, you must understand,
 "Road & Track" had not yet started their ampersand.
 To patch up the meter for the jolly old elf,
 I tweaked it a bit, in spite of myself.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.