Re: Need Ford Probe GT info...

To: "David Shreve" <ls1_1le@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Need Ford Probe GT info...
From: Ian McCloghrie <ian@codrus.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:47:59 -0800
On Dec 19, 2000 "David Shreve" wrote:
> I have found a 94 Proge GT with 57k miles that I can buy for around $5k.
> It's not the 92 GTI 16v I wanted, but it's a good deal, I think.
> Considering I'll be using it to tow a light trailer with a kart on it(less
> than 1,000 lbs), the V6 seems to be a step in the right direction.  I'm

Ford doesn't give it a tow rating (at least on the '95 that I used to
have), but if a Miata can pull a few hundred pounds of tire trailer,
I'd imagine < 1000 lbs on a PGT would probably be OK.

> going to look at it this evening.  I know several of you had them for GS
> back in the day, so I figured I might find some insight here.  What should I
> watch out for?  Or should I even be considering it?

The biggest problems with the Probes were body integrity sorts of
things.  The stiff suspension (for a factory install) combined with
typical Ford build quality produced a lot of rattles and squeaks.
The only other issue I remember was that, like most Mazda motors it eats
plug wires and the valve cover gaskets tend to leak.  Changing the gasket
on the front bank isn't too hard, but doing the rear means taking the
throttle body, intake manifold and 20 or 30 assorted vacuum lines off,
and was a pretty big PITA.  It is an interference engine, and 60K is
the timing belt change interval, so that's something you'll want to
make sure is done.

--Ian
'99 Miata LP - CSP
'01 Audi S4 - AS