Re: Contributing to the SM Inclusion List

To: "Teamdotnet" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Contributing to the SM Inclusion List
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:44:50 -0500
Jay, you need to become an SM List advisor. You have
excellent knowledge of some pretty arcane marques.

I believe when SM goes to a specific model Inclusion
List, the 4-seater requirement will be waived. In that
case, I'd include the 2-seater AMXs (68-70) since they
fit all other SM criteria.  I'd also include the
Delorean.  There's a huge contingent of Delorean
autoxers out there just waiting for a place to call
home :-)

Kent Rafferty

> I'm going to add my observations to Matt's list in
the hope that
> the aggregate will be of some use.
>
> > AMX
>
> Two seat cars.
>
> >Javelin (all)
>
> Rare, but I don't think they have any advantage over
other period
> ponycars.
>
> >  Milano
>
> That's a sedan which came with Alfa's largest engine,
a V6. Not
> that much potential for improvement. No threat to SM.
>
> > America (all)
>
> Austin Americas have the same chassis and driveline
as Minis. Ifn
> Minis are excluded, Americas should be as well.
>
> > 2002 ti
>
> Never sold in the US, and it doesn't matter. You can
make a 2002
> into a ti with (mostly) SP-legal changes. No
advantage in SM.

> & tii
>
> Likewise. Everything that distinguishes a tii from a
normal 2002
> is unrestricted in SM.
>
> (all) Bavaria
>
> This listing should include BMW
2500/2800/Bavaria/3.0S, all of
> which are quite large (for German cars of the time)
five-seat
> sedans. They are not particularly rare, nor are they
any threat
> to SM.
>
> >1800ti
>
> Again, this listing should include 1600/1800/2000
sedans, along
> with the 1800ti. Four-door sedans, overweight, too
tall, and
> underpowered in their original form. They share
driveline
> components with '02 BMWs and weigh much more. No
threat to SM.

> >TISA
>
> Only 8 (from memory) ever made. Based on the sedans
listed above,
> they were built to compete in the Sebring 12 hrs. of
196(5 or 6 I
> believe). I've driven and worked on one of these
cars. SM rules
> allow all the mods necessary to convert an 1800 into

a TISA. No
> threat to SM.
>
> >  Corvair & Yenko Stage I & II & III (all)
>
> Aww, heck. Let the Corvair guys have some fun,
woncha?

> > Arrow /Sapporo
>
> Dunno.
>
> > Abarth (all)
>
> Agreed. Tuner cars. May be possible to make a Fiat
600 into an
> Abarth, but 600s are extremely small and light, too,
and should
> probably be excluded.
>
> >  Cortina
>
> No more problematic than Pintos. Probably heavier,
live rear axle
> w/leaf springs. A Capri would probably be a better
choice for an
> SM car anyway.
>
> > Cobra R
>
> I'm not positive, but I bet the SM rules allow all
the changes
> you need to make a Mustang into a Cobra R.
>
> >  Scorpion (all)
>
> Two seats.
>
> > Beta & Zagato ('75-83)
>
> Basically Fignats. Even rarer, though. I don't think
you'll be
> alienating a large contingency if you leave these
out.  ;<)

> > Biturbo
>
> Big, ugly, unreliable sedan. Rare, but mostly because
almost none
> of the remaining ones can be kept running. The
biggest threat a
> Biturbo would pose is creating an obstruction on
course.  ;<)

> > Cosmo
> > R-100 (all)
>
> Dunno aobut either of the above.
>
> > Lancer, Lancer EVO, Charisma EVO {ed. note, non-USA
car}

> Idunno.
>
> > 405 M116
>
> Sedan. Rare because Peugeot had trouble giving them
away in this
> country, but not a threat to SM.
>
> > R5 Turbo
>
> Not US-legal. Since the entire driveline in the Turbo
I (or was
> it Turbo II?) was relocated from the original
position in the R5,
> this car should definitely be excluded. Otherwise,
you can
> update/backdate an R5 into a midengine car.
>
> > Fuego Turbo
>
> I can't see a problem w/Fuegos in SM. They're FWD and
not light.