Datsun 510s and SM

To: lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com
Subject: Datsun 510s and SM
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:57:52 -0800 (PST)
Hey, I know about those Datsun 510s!
I put that big meet on every year. It's more work than
chairing a SFR divisional with Charlie running
impound! 8-] We get about 150 510s from all over the
west, plus Datsun Roadsters and early Z cars. We have
carshows, autocrosses, even rent a racetrack for the
day. The deal runs from Thursday through Sunday. This
is the eleventh year. I know the event of which you
speak, and the cars.
Of those 510s, less than 25% have the original 1600cc
engine still in there. Most have upgraded to later
2000cc pickup motors but more and more they are
becoming street rods, like Corvette parts under a
model A. Nissan VG30 V6s are all the rage, but more
than a few never imported by Nissan USA but still
Nissan made motors show up. Few non Nissan engines are
chosen for whatever reason.

This has been going on for a long time out here. When
I started autocrossing in about 1985 I showed up with
a pickup truck motor in my 510. It didn't fit any SCCA
class. There were about 8 cars like mine, that is
wrong motor street cars, and we all formed a rag-tag
"false grid" with the locals in EP. Lets see, in
addition to a couple 510s, there was a Capri with the
wrong motor [a V8 I think, didn't matter], even a
pristine Alpha Guilietta with some wrong Alpha motor
in there. We were far from a threat to the real EP
cars and drivers and this game played for couple of
years. Did you know only competitors in the class may
protest you on preparation violations? Cheaters! to
the SCCA hardcore, but having lots of fun.
Finally we decided to add an "OSP" class to the local
structure. The hardcores had just so much trouble with
we infidels. We intended to write rules whenever a
problem occurred that would indicate a need for them
but for now, just go out and play.
Well, 15 years later, there are still no rules. The
class is usually both the most popular and the best
entry point for new people. Not only 510 folks either
lest I get trapped in some single marque warp like
others all too familiar around here. Interestingly
enough I personally never ran the class, having moved
on to EM with a Buick V8 510 then EP with a real EP
510. Locals were sure I wanted to cherry pick the
class with my EM car, but hey, it just cost too much
to run in any class, and the national champ [Bob King}
was running locally in EM and associating with him was
far better than winning an "easy" class. And it
wouldn't have worked any better on street rubber than
slicks.

Over the years there have been three dominant
cars/drivers. Early on there was a great topless 240Z
with a Nissan 2300cc 4 cylinder. The owner went on to
a good career roadracing in DSRs. Then The BUG, lots
of dunebuggy and midget engine technology and driven
by a 65 year old guy who has raced bugs for ever. Now
we have the Starlet driven by an ex rallyecrosser.
Lots of TRD goodies but still a small motor and no
supercharging. Notice neither superchargers nor large
motors are in that mix. Many a Corvette [and
overboosted DSM I daresay] has retreated to the safety
of a rigid class to keep that **#@ Bug away! The class
has been very successful with no rules.  The cars run
solidly like top ASP or P cars with similar times and
expenses.
I tried to share these things with Grant a year or two
ago. He called me a weenie. Leave him be in his quest
for an [inter?]national class to his liking. He's
doing the work, he wants it his way, that's fine.
There is a big difference between the local scene and
the [inter]national one that just escapes me. At least
he doesn't cry for someone else to do it for him, his
way.
We will continue to build our wacky 510s and run our
own events with or without SCCA's blessing.

=====
Dennis Hale