RE: What's wrong with this picture?

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>, "eric salem" <ebsalem@radiks.net>
Subject: RE: What's wrong with this picture?
From: Scott Mitchell <scott@alwaysthinking.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 00 15:43:04 -0500
Eric Salem wrote:
>But we all need to remember he works for an organization that clearly
>doesn't want Porsches participating. If the SCCA wanted us around, a Viper
>wouldn't be in the same class, ASP, as a 160 hp 911 and that 2300 pound 911
>wouldn't be also classed with a 1600 pound Lotus.

Now wait a minute, in ASP you can update/backdate the motor, right? The
current 911 motor puts out 296hp from the factory, before SP mods. What's
that? 8.8 lbs/hp? Give or take based on your numbers, motor weights, and
extra hp through SP mods.

A Lotus Twincam to SP spec puts out what? 160 hp? 170? That comes to 10
or 9.4 lbs/hp. If you want to include the Renault Europas, it's less
power than that, but also a bit less weight. Yes 'adding lightness' does
yield more gains than straight line acceleration.

The 911 is blessed with a HUGE selection of update backdates. Just
because your car hasn't been prepped to those limits doesn't mean that
Porsches are being descriminted against.

I don't see it.

Scott

"The footprints of your tires are all that lie between you
and Saint Peter" - Mark Donohue