Re: Letter to SEB / ESP

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Letter to SEB / ESP
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:00:36 -0600
At 12:46 PM 10/30/00, Mark J. Andy wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Brian M Kennedy wrote:
> > That happens in every sport... people have
> > good days and great days.  Using such isolated results to declare dominance
> > is silly.  Especially when the split was typical of past years' results,
> > without the M3; and especially when the split was less than the splits
> between
> > Mark's own runs... given a fourth run, maybe Mark would've won
> it.  Hardly a
> > strong statement of car superiority!
>
>Guess at all those pros and tours this year Bob always had a good day and
>the pony car guys always had bad days.  Or maybe the pony car guys just
>can't drive.

At all *two* tours that Bob was at... not uncommon... whenever a
national champ shows up at a tour, he generally wins big (unless another
national champ is there also).  Those two wins and Nationals I do not
consider a very strong argument (not weak, just not real strong).

OTOH, the Pros may be a much stronger argument... I was just talking about
Solo2 performance... ProSolo is another thing...
As with the Stock category, the M3 seems to be much stronger at ProSolo
than at Solo2.  The M3 does appear to be somewhat of an overdog in ProSolo
ESP.  Historically, classing has been driven by Solo2 more so than
ProSolo (in my perception)... but if both are considered, the M3 may need
to be in BSP (where it likely will be uncompetitive -- a shame, as there
is a large community of M3 autocrossers that ignore SCCA due to being classed
uncompetitively -- luckily, they have the BMW clubs).

OTOH, maybe this is a good argument for why ProSolo needs different classes
than Solo2... (the SEB just cringed at the doubling of their workload ;^)...

Anyway, I will concede that the ProSolo argument is more compelling.

FWIW,

Brian