Re: degreasing wheels

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: degreasing wheels
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:39:03 -0400
Eric the Knuckledragger asked about getting CV joint grease off the inside
of road wheels...

I have a bit of experience with this after the McIver MX6 lost the RH outer
CV boot somewhere between Michigan and Denver in '97.  What I did was buy a
set of cheap shop rags from the local discount parts store, wipe as much as
I could out, then attacked them with hot water, Tide laundry detergent, and
a stiff nylon bristle brush.  In the wheelhouse, I didn't want to mess up
the rust sealer, so I used Simple Green (about a gallon and a half all
told) and hot water and a less-stiff brush and finally said "screw it" and
used a can out of my precious stash of old-style CRC Brake Kleen with 1,1,1
trichloroethane (which is now banned by EPA) to finish it up.

On the outside, it sounds like the salt and whatnot have already damaged
the clearcoat.  Best bet is to get it all the way stripped and find a local
powdercoater who can put a fresh coat of clear on 'em.  If you do the
surface prep yourself (ask the coater what they want), you can get wheels
done quite reasonably that way -- probably for not much more than what the
basic Eastwood home powder coating kit would cost (and that is if you can
fit the wheel in your home oven...).  The key to powdercoating wheels is to
not go quite so thick near the rim -- that way it's more chip-resistant
during tire mounting.

Jim Crider