Re: What's Spam?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's Spam?
From: Paul Cezanne <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:28:39 -0400

>How about the person on here who advertises a book and the UN in their sig.
>line?  Is that commercial?  Or are non-for profits OK?

That would of course be me.

The distinction I make is that I never, ever, post something that
says "Read my wife's book" or "Feed the hungry." I instead post a
team.net related article or respond to a team.net related article.
There has NEVER been an off topic post from me about the book or
thehungersite.

It is called "viral marketing."  You attach your ad to something that
is useful.  Now that's rub, what is "useful?"  I consider on-topic
posts to be useful.  Are my sig ads effective?  For the book I'd say
no, for thehungersite I'd say yes.  I found out about the site via a
signature ad and I know about a dozen people who have written to me
thanking me for putting it in and some kids somewhere don't die
today.

I've thought about pulling the book ad and asked one of the team.net
elders if it was spam and the response was that in his opinion it
wasn't because I attached to topic related email.  If the populace
speaks otherwise, obviously I'll remove it.

This is what Jean SHOULD do, post topic related emails in team.net
(and on plyon.ccs forums and elsewhere that she finds autocross
discussion going on) and include her URL in her signature.

pZ -- Paul Cezanne (formerly Czarnecki)

Please consider buying my wife's new book, The Illusionist,
(http://www.JeannetteAngell.com) and then help the UN feed the world
for free @ http://www.TheHungerSite.com