Re: Girlie Girl Racing's "Quick Chicks" ( was Re: Some thoughts on Ladie

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Girlie Girl Racing's "Quick Chicks" ( was Re: Some thoughts on Ladies Classes)
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:12:52 -0700
From: Arthur Emerson
> Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com> wrote:
> >
> >Are there ladies classes in the IRL, CART, F1, NASCAR, NHRA?
> >In other words do other motorsports regard women as inferior
> >drivers and create a special class for them to play?

I  think the difference is you can't just show up at their events, pay your
entry fee and drive.  And what about the women's racing series that many of
our better ladies are currently in?  Somebody obviously felt there was a
need for a "special" series just for women. Hopefully, these ladies will
eventually move into the "open" series and continue to open that up.
Despite the success of ladies like Shirley Muldowney and Lyn St. James and
the 2 in last years Indy, we still see very few ladies at the pro level.
Don't know why.  Is it the resistance in a male dominated industry?  Or the
lack of good entry level programs to encourage ladies into the sport?

>snip<
> At these events, they kept pushing the Girlie Girl Racing
> "Quick Chick" drag racing competition on the PA system.  (Girlie
> Girl is based in Rutherford, New Jersey, and I guess that the
> gold chain-wearing, IROC-driving, drag racing men in that area
> have the female founder of the company fooled into thinking
> that "girl" and "chick" aren't degrading to some women in this
> era of political correctness.)
>
> Anyway, if you want to read the perspective of somebody
> that's involved with STARTING a ladies class in motorsports,
> check this interview out:
>
> http://www.girliegirlracing.com/html/interview.htm
>
> I suspect that her views don't represent the majority of women.
> I'm just pointing it out for the perspective.
>
> What would be the opinion of our women competitors if "Girlie
> Girl" were to suddenly become sponsors of the ladies classes
> in Solo-II / ProSolo???  Do any of you "chicks" :-) out there
> think that this is worth pursuing?????

The screenprinting company I work at did the initial development of Diana's
logo and printed all her clothing before she moved from Calif to NJ.  Note
that Girlie Girl is focused on drag racing although she may be open to other
motorsports now. And don't think "the
gold chain-wearing, IROC-driving, drag racing men in that area" have her
fooled into anything (especially since she started her company here in
SoCal), she is a good business woman who seems to know how to market her
product.  She was aware of my involvement in Solo2, but the niche she was
after at the time was the "chicks" that hang out with the young amature drag
racers.

Rick Brown
FP 240Z