Re: Powder Puffs 'r Us

To: "Paul Cezanne" <oblique@alum.mit.edu>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Powder Puffs 'r Us
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:01:35 -0500
>You cannot say that CPL ran with the same conditions as CP because
>they didn't and therefore you cannot compare the times.  This is true.

IMHO, this begs the issue entirely too much.

If one class runs on dry and the other runs in rain, THAT is a significant
difference that invalidates times (I can beat a national champion, and did
last year, when my run was dry and his was wet. Later when he got a dry one,
I was toast).

If one class runs At 10 am and it is 65 degres, and the other runs at 2 pm
and it is 78 degrees -- IMHO that is not enough difference to totally negate
all comparisons. Basically, both ran in dry and warm conditions. Yes, there
is difference, but it is a minimal difference. This was a very useful
Nationals in that time comparisons when considering reclassing this or that
car are much more valid.

Some say first heat had a disadvantage because the course was dusty.

Some say fifth heat had a disadvantage because rubber-dust off-line
restricted the lines you could choose.

This one was too cold, that one was too hot. This heat benefited by having
co-drivers to warm the tires. That heat they were waterspraying their tires
to cool them.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

I whined (in jest) that the top three DPLs beat me because they had hotter
concrete. In truth, had I run in their heat or they in mine, I doubt the
results would have read any differently.

Hell, the course changes every time someone replaces a pylon, albeit
imperceptibly. It was imperceptibly warmer for the guy who ran #199 than it
was for me running #4. But then, my class was won by the guy wearing #1, and
the runner-up was in #25.

A couple of hours of heat into the surface on a day that begins at 60 and
tops out slightly above 80 is minor enough to be irrelevant.

IMHO

--Rocky Entriken