Why I like SM...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why I like SM...
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@trimofran.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:56:17 -0500
>>To say that since only 4 marques trophying (or whatever
the statement was) means the class doesn't have a "level playing field" is
laughable.<<

The fact that at least a few top level drivers have been willing to prepare and
campaign SM cars this year is a very good start, IMO.

I think SM is getting a lot of looks right now from people in various classes.
It's a great option for people like me.   I've had a lot of discussions with
fellow competitors about various changes I would like to make that are illegal
under SP rules, but I can't since I'm still intent on running in SP.

As far as car prep goes, I LOVE the variety.  Remember the recent thread where
everyone described their version of the ideal SM car?  All kinds of neat ideas.
 Well, looking at the results, most of our (more feasable) ideas haven't  even
started showing up yet.  When they do, I'm sure that Grant and Rafferty will
have an answer for them, and the variety/competition will be better than ever.

I fit the SM demographic perfectly and I'd consider SM immediately if my car
were a bit older (warranties, etc.).  I drive a '98 Honda Civic DX.  It's my
daily driver and I run in FSP.  BUT, while I enjoy running the 'easier' pax,
I'm getting sick and tired of day after day dealing with my wimpy 106 HP
engine.  The D16Y motor is a dog and so is the tranny.  Honda tuners don't even
bother with it.   I'd love to do an engine swap someday.  Won't happen in the
next year or two, but it's really nice to know I have a place to play if/when I
decide to take that route.  I have to think there are a *bunch* of people out
there that are in a similar situation.  That's why I think SM is a great class,
but it will take another year, probably two, to see it really flourish.

-brad