what causes cupping of front tires?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: what causes cupping of front tires?
From: MattGent@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:23:49 EDT
I've seen this happen in a few different circumstances, and I'd like to know
what the possible causes are.  What I mean is when it looks like someone took
an ice-cream scoop to the corner of the tire every 4 inches or so, creating a
wavy surface.  It only seems to show up right on the inside corner, though.

First time I saw it was a set of 225 R1s (way too small on my mustang).
Cupped the inside edge of the inside front tire under braking into a hairpin.
 Second time was a set of street tires on a friend's Mustang Cobra, inside
edge of both fronts.  Then today on a 240SX I am considering buying.  I'm
wondering if it has to do with alignment, or maybe it is indicative of the
chassis having a problem?  I know my stang was in a pretty serious front-end
wreck and isn't straight.

What can I learn about a car, or its driver, by seeing the inside edge of one
or both front tires cupped?

Thanks
Matt