Re: Power Fantasies (was DSP, was Nationals entries)

To: "miket" <miket@interaccess.com>, "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Power Fantasies (was DSP, was Nationals entries)
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:44:23 -0500
Mike said:

> Hard to believe a SP legal X1/9 can do 135 HP,

Can't. Try 100, maybe 110 tops. You're talkin 1500cc
non-crossflow motor here.

> but then again I donlt know
> anything about that powerplant. Can a SP Neon do 190 HP???

Hahaha. That's right up there on the fantasy chart with those 190
hp ASP Elans. Let's use our heads here. With the stock camshaft,
stock CR (plus what little additional you can get with legal head
shaving), and the added displacement/CR from a .040" overbore,
how much you gonna improve over stock? 1+ hp/cu.in is a
reasonable stock for a modern OHC engine (which the X1/9 ain't),
1.5 hp/cu. in. is well into the realm of racing (i.e., definitely
not SP legal) engines. An X1/9 displaces about 92 cu. in. 100 hp
from one of those takes serious development. 135 hp (1.47 hp/cu.
in. for the arithmetic-impaired) in a DSP Fignat is a wet dream.

If you're gonna talk power, at least talk about realistic
numbers.

Jay