TireRack SCCA National Solo Championships Alert

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: TireRack SCCA National Solo Championships Alert
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:09:24 EDT
This is the press release issued yesterday from the SCCA Rally/Solo Dept
in Denver for anyone who has not yet seen it:

For immediate release   15 August 2000

SCCA National Office Announces First Time Ever Entry Cap for the
Tire Rack SCCA National Solo Championships

DENVER, CO: For the first time in SCCA history, the annual September
running of The Tire Rack SCCA National Solo Championships in Topeka,
Kansas will cap total entries at 1200 participants.  Explosive growth within
the sport of Solo competition in the last 12 months has resulted in record
entries to the Topeka event -- already the largest event of its kind in the
world by a substantial margin -- increasing its size by nearly one-third for
the 2000 running.

For the last several seasons, the Tire Rack SCCA National Solo
Championships have hovered at the 900 - 940 entry level.  A goal of "1000
in 2000," set by Howard Duncan, SCCA Project Manager, late last year
seemed easily attainable, but the overwhelming growth in the sport far
exceeded this now seemingly conservative goal.  Duncan said "We are
truly thrilled the adjustments we made to the National Solo program for
2000 have been so well accepted by the enthusiast community, and the
Tire Rack's marketing assistance has clearly had an increased exposure
role for us as well."

Currently, entries for the event are running nearly double the usual amount
at this time of the year, and forecasting indicates that the event could run
close to 1400 entries if left unchecked.  With quality of presentation
concerns, and a need to assure that all entrants get the proper number of
runs per day, the SCCA National Office made the decision today to cap
the number at 1200, the current logistical maximum.

Dennis Dean, Vice President of the SCCA Rally, Solo and Club Racing
departments sees the opportunity for the Tire Rack SCCA National Solo
Championships to expand the format of the event in 2001 to accommodate
a significantly larger crowd.  "We are in the best situation possible right
now, with the overall accessibility and interest in the sport at an all-time
high.  We are also mindful of the importance of presenting a quality event,
and feel that it is best at this juncture to cap our entries, and give those
in attendance the best show possible."

"There are still spaces available," reminded Tasha Goodale, the SCCA's
Rally/Solo Department Manager; "but we can see those remaining slots
filling fast."  Faxed entries are always accepted, and sending completed
entry forms to the Club office by the end of business on Friday, 18 August
will avoid the $50.00 late fee that goes into effect on Monday, 21 August.
The Rally/Solo department fax number is 303.694.3654.

For more information regarding the SCCA's National Solo Program, the
Topeka-based "Tire Rack SCCA National Solo Championships" or the
Tire Rack, visit the following websites:

 www.scca.org
 www.tirerack.com

or contact the SCCA National Office at RallySolo@compuserve.com
or by calling 303.779.6622